During our time of restructured business practices due to the Governor’s COVID 19 protocols, all adoptions will be made using the following procedures.
1. Choose the pet you would like to adopt from the options shown on our Cats and Dogs pages.
2. Call our office and provide the name of the pet you would like to adopt.
3. A member of our staff will conduct an interview.
4. Fill out and submit the Adoption Application.
• Print application, fill it out and email to email@example.com.
• Arrive on the scheduled adoption day at the scheduled time where a staff member will bring the application to your vehicle. Fill out the application in your car and we will take the completed application. STAY IN YOUR VEHICLE AT ALL TIMES. Once the adoption is completed, a staff member will bring your new family member to your vehicle and you will be free to take them to their new furever home!
If you can no longer care for your animal and wish to surrender them to HSNC you must either call us at 352-796-2711 or stop by the shelter and fill out the owner surrender form. Once submitted to the front desk it will take up to 48 hours for an animal care technician to call you to schedule an appointment to bring in your animal for an evaluation.
We have limited space so there is no guarantee that we would be able to take your animal. Please refer to our resource page for links to other organizations in our area.
For Hernando County citizens who are struggling to feed their pets, we offer free dog and cat food at our shelter:
Receiving food assistance is on a first come, first serve basis. Recipients must provide proof of residence. For more information about food distribution, please contact 352-796-2711.
If you would like to help those owners and pets in need, please donate a bag of pet food to our shelter.